Error – “Windows Update error “Windows update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer” probably occurs when Windows temporary update folder (SoftwareDistribution folder) is corrupted”
To easily fix this error, follow the below steps below
1. Stop Windows Update service.
- Open “My Computer” and navigate to “C:Windows”folder.
- Delete (or Rename e.g. to “SoftwareDistributionOLD”) the “SoftwareDistribution” folder.
Renamed in my case as “SoftwareDistributionOLD”
3. Step 3: Start the Windows Update service.
- Go to Windows services and “Start”theWindows Update service.
After the search was complete, we could find all updates as shown below
Now you can proceed to install your updates