Confluence is a collaboration software program developed and published by an Australian software company. Confluence was written in the Java programming language and first published it in 2004.
This is one of the most straight installation known. The installer can be downloaded from this URL below.
System Requirements. Here are some few requirements needed for Confluence installation
- Open firewall ports (ports 8090 and 8091)
- Decide to run Confluence as a service or not
- Ensure the right java version is installed (Java Runtime Environment (JRE)) and set the JAVA_HOME variable correctly.
- Ensure the right Memory is installed as Confluence requires a lot of memory to operate.
- A significant amount of CPU is also required especially for document processing.
- Databases (You will need an external database to run Confluence). See the Supported Platforms page for a list of all the databases we support.
- Synchronize your time correctly. (Problems with time synchronization between the VM and the host system. This causes problems in Confluence due to irregularities in the execution of scheduled tasks. We strongly recommend checking your VM time
sync if you have issues with scheduled tasks in a virtualized environment.
- Antivirus considerations (Antivirus software on the operating system running Confluence can greatly decrease the performance of Confluence. Antivirus software that intercepts access to the hard disk is particularly detrimental and may even cause errors in Confluence. This is particularly important if you are running Confluence on Windows. No matter how fast your hardware is, antivirus software will almost always have a negative impact on Confluence’s performance.
You should configure your antivirus software to ignore the following directories:
- Confluence home directory
- Confluence’s index directory
- All database-related directories
Confluence Installation: For the installation, please follow this link
Run the installer as an Administrator in order to have it run as a service: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/installing-confluence-on-windows-255362047.html
Follow the prompts to install Confluence
- Select the installation type (Choose Production and other kinds of Apps that may be needed or used).
- Input your license
- Connect to your database / Setup a new database
1. If you have not created your database before, this can be done right now.
2. Ensure the right OJBC driver is installed.
This information is only relevant if you’re installing Confluence manually on a Windows server. If you’re using the installer, you don’t need to do this. https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/database-jdbc-drivers-171742.html
- Populate your new site with content
- Note: If you have confluence imported to this new database, you will have to build the index before the import content is searchable on Confluence.
Decide on how to manage users: Manage users and groups (This option should be chosen if you do not have Jira installed previously or else). You can simply connect to Jira to manage user.
- Create your Administrator Account (Only needed if you do not import users from Jira).
- Start using Confluence.
That's it! Your Confluence site is accessible from a URL like this: http://:techdirectarchivewiki.com :)
If you plan to run Confluence behind a reverse proxy, check out Proxy and SSL considerations before you go any further.
- We only support running Confluence on the version of Apache Tomcat that is bundled with the Confluence distribution.
- To check the JRE_HOME variable, open a command prompt and type echo %JRE_HOME% and hit Enter.
- If you see a path to your Java installation directory, the JRE_Home environment variable has been set correctly.
If nothing is displayed, or only %JRE_HOME% is returned, you’ll need to set the JRE_HOME environment variable manually.
How to set the Java_Home Variable in Windows
Note: This information is only relevant if you’re installing Confluence manually on a Windows server.
If you’re using the installer, you don’t need to do this. Here is a valid link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/setting-the-java_home-variable-in-windows-8895.html
How to configure the Server Base URL
– See the link here on how to accomplish this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-the-server-base-url-148592.html
How to configure confluence to send email messages
How to adding and inviting users, see the following links below.
More Useful Links
6. All about Confluence: https://commons.lbl.gov/display/itfaq/Account+Management