The On-Screen keyboard is an accessibility feature built into Windows that can be utilised whenever the physical keyboard on your computer is malfunctioning.
However, the on-screen keyboard might not be needed when you are implemented certain lockdown scenarios or due to space, it consumes when it starts automatically as soon as you login to your computer, with the later, this can be quite frustrating. To prevent the on-screen keyboard from starting automatically, use the following methods.
Via the Control Panel: Launch the control panel and navigate through the following areas
- Click on Ease of Access Ease of Access Center, - Modify the settings as desired for your keyboard
Modify as shown below
Via the Settings Window: Search for Ease of Access Center as shown below
This will open the following windows below,
– Switch of “use the On-Screen Keyboard”
Via the registry: This can be achieved by searching under the Windows search “Regedit.exe” and navigate to the following location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Authentication - LogonUI
Double click on “ShowTabletKeyboard” and set it to “1” to enable it. Set it to “0” to disable it.
Note: If this key does not exist, you can create it. Here it is set to zero (disabled)
Via the “Msconfig“ or “Task manager”: This can also be one via the “msconfig“ or “task manager”, then check under the “Startup” tab to disable (uncheck) any keyboard software that might be running.
Now in Windows 10 you will be redirected to select “Task Manager“, then select the “Startup” tab to disable keyboard software.
- Launch msconfig or - Task Manager directly
Here I would like to proceed with the msconfig option
Double click on the System Configuration, this will open the System Configuration Window.
Here you can disable any keyboard software that is running
Via the OSK in windows 10: Disable OSK in windows 10
- Click on Windows from C drive - Click on system32 - Open properties of “OSK”.
- Go to the security tab, and select advanced - Change Ownership from Trusted Installer as shown below to the Administrators user, - Clcik ok.
- Go to edit, select Add option, then add “everyone”.
- Lastly, deny “full control” to everyone
Via the Command Prompt: You can use the command prompt in the following ways to disable the on-screen keyboard service.
- Click Start, - Type "CMD" in the Start Search box. - Right-click Command Prompt or CMD, - Select run as Administrator. - In the command prompt window, enter the command below and press enter:
sc config “TabletInputService” start= disabled
Next, enter the following commands below to stop the service.
This will stop the service that was already running. Note: To re-enable the service, user the commands: sc config “TabletInputService” start= autosc start “TabletInputService”
See the link below on how to enable or disable Touch Screen (by finger) in Windows 10 https://techdirectarchive.com/2020/02/09/how-to-enable-or-disable-touch-screen-by-finger-in-windows-10/