Connecting your Windows devices to your Microsoft account makes your device safer and more straightforward to access in the case of an unexpected event, such as losing your login password, and it also allows you to make regular backups. But what if you lose your device or stop using it and still have it linked to your Microsoft account? How can you remove this device from your account? If you want to know how to add your device to your Microsoft account, please How to Add a Device to your Microsoft account.
Removing your device from your Microsoft account is simple and only takes a few steps. Please remember that to proceed, you must know your Microsoft Account password. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by requesting that Microsoft email you reset instructions.
In this article, we will show you how to view the list of all Windows devices connected to your Microsoft account and how to remove them from your list of devices easily.
For more on Windows and adding devices to Microsoft account, read these: How to Add a Device to your Microsoft account, Add Hardware and Peripherals: How to add a device to a Windows 10 Computer, How to remove a Bluetooth device and connect a new Bluetooth device to Macbook, Microsoft Phone Link: How to Link and Unlink an Android Phone to Windows 11. To install and activate Microsoft Office see How to install and activate Office 2019 on your Mac PC.
Streamlining Your Microsoft Account: Removing Windows Devices
Once you are ready, you can see how to remove a Windows devices from your Microsoft account.
1. First, press the Windows key to open the Start menu, then click on Settings.
2. Click on Accounts; on the right side, click the Microsoft account you have your Windows devices connected to, and in the account drop-down, you should either have two buttons, Manage or Remove. Click on Manage and continue to the next step.
3. From that, it will open your Browser and ask you for a password to log in to your Microsoft Account online. Once you input your password, you should be directed to your Microsoft Dashboard. Here you have all sorts of options, including setting up payments, OneDrive, Privacy, etc. We want to concentrate on managing your connected Windows devices.
4. Here, click on Devices on the top right. You may need to input your password again for security purposes. Then, a new page will open. You will see all your connected Windows devices, including mobile phones, PCs, laptops, consoles, etc. Here you need to identify the device you are using. If you cannot locate it, then select Find My Device button right next to the Overview tab.
5. Once you identify the device click on Remove device.
6. A message prompt should appear for confirmation. Simply tick on the I’m ready to remove this checkbox and hit on Remove.
7. This device will no longer have access to your Microsoft account.
Congratulations! You have successfully removed your device from your Microsoft account. If you have any questions concerning this process, please leave them in the comments section below.