Edge Transport servers handle all inbound and outbound Internet mail flow by providing mail relay and smart host services for your Exchange organisation. Agents running on the Edge Transport server provide additional layers of message protection and security. These agents provide protection against spam and apply mail flow rules (also known as transport rules) to control mail flow.
Open Command prompt with elevated privileges
– Browse to location C:WindowsADAM
– Type ADAMUninstall /i:MSExchange and hit enter
– Click Yes on both the dialog boxes appearing after you hit enter
– Restart the server
While you reinstall the exchange edge transport role, you may receive some weird errors at the first time. This is expected to happen when you remove everything in a crude way.
Locate the registry key HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftExchangeServerV14EdgeTransportRole
– Delete the WaterMark string from the right-hand side pane of the registry editor
– Browse back to location HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftExchangeServerV14
– Right click and create a new key named Transport
– Create one more key named Pickup at HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftExchangeServerV14
– Re-run exchange edge transport setup
Your edge transport role should be back to operation and you can create a new edge subscription with Exchange 2013 mailbox or Exchange 2010 HT servers.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.