Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) is a suite (portfolio) of technologies available to Software Assurance customers through an additional subscription. The following components are included in the MDOP suite: Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V), Microsoft User Experience Virtualization (UE-V), Microsoft Advanced Group Policy Management (AGPM), Microsoft Diagnostics & Recovery Toolset (DaRT), and Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM). Therefore, MDOP is a suite of tools that help improve compatibility and management, reduce support costs, improve asset management, and improve policy control in your enterprise network. Kindly refer to the following guide “how to deploy Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring” on how the MBAM tool is deployed for BitLocker management.
How can one get this tool?
MDOP is available as an additional subscription for Software Assurance customers. The tool is also available to MDOP subscribers and can be downloaded from Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center from the following link.
Each of the MDOP tools was created separately, with its own end-of-support dates, and later packaged together into a single portfolio.
– Advanced Group Policy Management (AGPM)
– Application Virtualization (App-V)
– Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset (DaRT)
– Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM)
– Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)*
– User Experience Virtualization (UE-V)
Advanced Group Policy Management (AGPM)
This tool actually extends the capability of the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) to provide comprehensive change control and improved management for Group Policy Objects (GPOs).
- Currently, there are various versions. For the most recent AGPM 4.0 SP3 versions and systems they support, visit the following link. For downloads and other information on this, visit this link.
Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) 5
This tool allows admins to make applications available to end-users without having to install the applications directly on end-user computers. App-V transforms applications into centrally managed services that are never installed and don’t conflict with other applications.
Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT)
This tool lets you diagnose and repair a computer that cannot be started or that has problems starting as expected. By using DaRT 10, you can recover end-user computers that have become unusable, diagnose probable causes of issues, and quickly repair unbootable or locked-out computers. When it is necessary, you can also quickly restore important lost files and detect and remove malware, even when the computer is not online.
- This tool enables you to create a DaRT recovery image in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and Windows Imaging (WIM) file formats and burn the image to a CD, DVD, or USB. You can then use the recovery image files and deploy them locally or to a remote partition or a recovery partition.
- DaRT 10 is a vital part of the MDOP, a dynamic solution available to Software Assurance customers that helps reduce software installation costs enables delivery of applications as services, and helps manage and control enterprise desktop environments.
Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM)
This tool provides a simplified administrative interface that you can use to manage BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- This tool lets you configure MBAM Group Policy Templates that enable you to set BitLocker Drive Encryption policy options that are appropriate for your enterprise, and then use them to monitor client compliance with those policies.
- You can also report on the encryption status of an individual computer and on the enterprise as a whole. Additionally, you can access recovery key information when users forget their PIN or password or when their BIOS or boot record changes.
Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
This tool uses Windows Virtual PC to provide an enterprise solution for desktop virtualization. MED-V is an integral component of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack, a dynamic solution available to Software Assurance customers, which helps reduce software installation costs, enables the delivery of applications as services, and helps manage and control enterprise desktop environments.
User Experience Virtualisation (UE-V)
This tool capture and centralize your users’ application settings and Windows OS settings by implementing Microsoft User Experience Virtualisation and then applying these settings to the users of the devices accessed in your enterprises, like desktop computers, laptops, or virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) sessions. Below is the image of how deployed UE-V components work together to synchronize settings.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.