This is a hidden control panel that lets you set computer-level or user-level settings. If you’re a Systems Administrator, you can set group policies at your domain level, and then push them out to the clients on your network. For other articles I have written on GPO, see the following link. See this guide if you ever wanted to know what group policies are enabled or analyze GPO computers. A group policy can be launched via “
gpedit.msc” locally or just by typing “gpedit” to launch the Local group policy console. You may want to see the following articles as well. Why use RSAT? How to Install RSAT on Windows 10, Remote Server Administration Tools: To install RSAT on Windows Server, and what is Group Policy Object and how can it be launched in Windows.
A set of Group Policy configurations is called a Group Policy Object (GPO). A version of Group Policy called Local Group Policy (LGPO or LocalGPO) allows Group Policy Object management without Active Directory on standalone computers.
Or via the run dialog box, search for “gpedit.msc” as shown below.
Each of the methods above will launch the “Local Group Policy Console” as shown below,
To launch Group Poly from the Domain controller,
– Under Tool,
– Search for Group Policy Management
For RSAT installation, see the following link. From Windows 10 1909, you do not have to install RSAT tool to have this tool installed on your PC.
– Launch the “Windows Settings” or via Win+I on your keyboard
– Click on Apps
– Click on Apps and Features and
– Click on optional features as shown below
Under Optional features
– Select RSAT: Group Policy Management Tools
Click on it and select install. In my case I have it installed already so it prompting me to uninstall it. This is how to have the tool uninstalled also from your Device (PC).
With Group Policy Object, administrators can administer (control) the number of PCs. A set of Group Policy configurations is called a Group Policy Object (GPO). The Group Policy Editor is the Local Group Policy Editor, which is used to enforce GPO’s and modify policies in standalone computers.
– Note the following below about GPO.
- When you modify a Group Policy object, these changes are automatically applied to Registry. But, when you modify the Registry values while the Group Policy is forced, the value will be overwritten to its original state until the Group Policy Editor specifically makes the changes.
- Group policy on Windows 10 periodically refreshes the Registry at certain intervals to keep the Registry values in check at all times which is an interval of 90 minutes.
- For this reason, the GPO needs to be enforced as shown below. See the hyperlink for the difference between GPUpdate and GPUpdate /force
This tool can also be launched from PowerShell and Command Prompt as shown below. For some group policy implementations, see the following link.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.