It is worth noting that, there is a great difference between changing passwords for accounts residing directly on your computer, not for Active Directory passwords. For forgotten or lost password, see the following link.
In this guide, we will be discussing how to change local Administrators password residing on the Windows 10 device.
Via Computer Management: In this method, you will have to launch the “computer Management tool”.
– Launch the “Computer Management” with the windows shortcut “compmgmt.msc” or type Computer Management from the search window.
– Press Enter
– Double-click the “Local Users and Groups” folder.
– On the right pane of the Window (in the list of local users)
– Right-click the account name for the Administrator account,
– Then select “Set Password” for the account named “Administrator” as shown below.
Note: This name can be changed by some administrators to some other names for security reasons (best practice). If this is the case, you will need to find the right (designated Administrator account).
Via the Control Panel: The Administrators account can as well be changed via the control panel. Launch the control panel window, there are different ways to do this.
– Type and search for Control Panel from the Search button below
– Click on Change account type as shown below
This will open the User Account Window where you can reset your account.
– If you have multiple account on the device, ensure the right account is selected and then
– Click on Reset Password as shown below
You will be prompted with the Rest Password Window as shown below in order to reset your password.
– Enter the new passwords as shown below
– When you are done, click on okay
Via Command Prompt: Ensure to launch the Command Prompt with Administrators privilege as shown below.
– To reset a forgotten password, type the following command
– Press Enter.
net user Account(UserAccount) NewPassword
– Replace Account(UserAccount) and NewPassword with your username and desired password respectively.
Ensure to replace the NewPassword above with your desired password 🙂
I hope you found this useful If you have any questions, kindly let me know via the comment session.