You may need the .NET Framework 3.5 to run an app on Windows 10 etc. The .NET Framework is created by Microsoft and provides an environment for running applications. There are different versions available. Many companies develop their apps to run using the .NET Framework, and these apps target a specific version. see the following guides. “how to set PowerShell Execution Policy via Windows Settings, how to set Execution Policy via Windows PowerShell, how to set the PowerShell Execution Policy via Windows Registry, how to set up and install the WDS role, and how to remove the WDS role via the GUI and PowerShell.
Various ways to install .Net Framework: You can also use these instructions for earlier Windows versions as well. On a server, you can not add the framework via Windows Programs or features. You can via the CLI, PowerShell, DISM and Server Manager etc.
Part A: 1 – Command Prompt: You can install the framework by command prompt as shown below. You can alternatively use the command this way “DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All“.
DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /all /featurename:NetFx3 DISM.exe /online /enable-feature /all /featurename:NetFx4
2: Download the offline installer: The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 offline installer is available on the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Download page and is available for Windows versions prior to Windows 10.
3: PowerShell: It is also possible to install .NET Framework 3.5 using Powershell. Use this command below to accomplish this.
Also, for a Windows Server installation that is not connected to the Internet, you can use Windows PowerShell to add .NET Framework 3.5 and provide access to the \sources\sxs folder on the installation media. Where \\network\share\sxs is the location of the source files. Below is the command to do this.
Install-WindowsFeature Net-Framework-Core -source \\network\share\sxs
4: Server Manager: You can use Server Manager to enable .NET Framework 3.5 for a local or remote installation of Windows Server. You may also want to know the differences between a role and a feature. Here are some ways to install Windows features to your device.
- In Server Manager, click Manage and then select Add Roles and Features to start the Add Roles and Features Wizard. - On the Select installation type screen, select Role-based or feature-based installation. - Select the target server. - On the Select features screen, check the box next to .Net Framework 3.5 Features
5: Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel:
A: Press the Windows key or the Windows key logo on your keyboard. Here is a similar example for this step “How to Rive off the Welcome Screen and Shutdown Screen“.
- Type "Windows Features", and press Enter.
- The Turn Windows features on or off dialog box appears.
- Select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
- Check box, select OK, and reboot your computer if prompted.
If the steps discussed above are too confusing, follow these steps below to install .NET Framework via the Control Panel.
– From the search window, type Control Panel as shown below.
B: Alternatively, you could Press the Windows key and R at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl in the Run command box and press Enter or click OK. Visit the following guide for more on Windows Shortcut.
This will open up the Control Panel Window as shown below
– Click on Programs as shown below
Next, click on Turn Windows Feature On or off as shown below
This will Open up the Windows features window. Here select .NET Framework 3.5
Select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
– Click on Ok and Windows wll start searching for updates and
– Will prompt the window below. Select “let Windows Updates download the files for you” as shown below
The required files to install .NET Framework 3.5 will be downloaded as shown below
After the whole process is complete, the following Windows will be prompted.
– Click on close
– Ensure you have your PC rebooted after installing the .NET Framework 3.5 feature.
6: DISM: You could also use DISM to install .NET Framework 3.5 in the following ways. For how to add FoD, LP, and LIP, add features, add LXPs and packages to a Windows Image,
A: Online (on a running Windows Devie): Use the following commands below to achieve this.
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:G:sourcessxs
B: Offline (On Windows Image): You can offline service an image using DISM and enable/disable a feature on the mounted ones. In this short article, let us see on how we can do the same.
– To enable the feature .NET Framework 3.5 on an install.wim file, use the following commands.
dism /Image:G:\Path-to-the-mounted-wim-file\MountedZ /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3
Part B: How to disable .NET Framework 3.5: Repeat the same steps as mentioned to enable .NET Framework 3.5.
– Then Uncheck the button close to .NET Framework 3.5
– This will apply the changes as shown below.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.