Every Wi-Fi feature on a Windows system is used to connect to a network system: e.g Internet. This network could be a home network, office network, or a Wi-Fi hotspot in the public domain. Microsoft developed the Windows operating system to remember or save all Wi-Fi settings on your computer system which also includes the security keys to gain access to the Wi-Fi network. It may become challenging sometimes to remember passwords or security keys to this Wi-Fi network, you do not need to sweat over this because there are shortcuts to getting out the security keys previously saved on your computer. If you want to read more on the wireless network you can read these: How to disable Network (Wireless) UI from the Welcome screen, and how to Set up and configure Cisco WAP 551 and WAP 561.
Follow the steps below to view your current Wi-Fi password. Here are some more guides you may be interested in: Authentication Protocol: 802 dot 1x and EAP types for Wired and Wireless Authentication, and Unable to connect to Eduroam WLAN: WiFi Username remembered on MAC.
- Open the Network Connections by running this ncpa.cpl in Run.
2. Now right-click on the Wi-Fi adapter and click Status from the context menu.
3. On the Wi-Fi Status page click Wireless Properties and this open the WiFi network properties.
4. Click on the Security tab and check the Show characters box which will reveal the exact Network security key or Password.
Note: if you are not connected to any Wi-Fi network you will not be able to see the network security key using this method.
5. For you to see the Wi-Fi password without any active connection then you will need to open the Command Prompt as an Administrator and enter this command
netsh wlan show profilesThis will reveal all the Wi-Fi Profiles on your Computer.
6. But to reveal the Wi-Fi password of a particular profile then run this command:
netsh wlan show profile name=WifiConnectionName SSID key=clear just replace WifiConnectionName with the Wifi SSID which is the User profile.
Under the Security settings you will see the Key Content
Below is a YouTube video showing how to disclose the WiFi password of the Network you are connected to in Windows
I hope you found this blog post on how to reveal the WiFi password of the Network you are connected to in Windows interesting and helpful. In case you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section.