Installing the latest Windows Server 2022 on VirtualBox is very seamless. VirtualBox is a free and open-source hosted hypervisor for x86 virtualization, developed by Oracle Corporation. You may decide to run multiple VMs on your operating system this is very possible with type 2 virtualization. You can read How to install Windows Server 2019 on Virtualbox and you may want to know How to clone a Windows Server running on VirtualBox. If you are a Linux user you may likely check How to install and configure Ubuntu Linux on VirtualBox. Windows 11 can equally be installed without TPM Support by reading How to install Windows 11 in Oracle VirtualBox.
Evaluate Windows Server 2022 by registering here and you can download Virtualbox here. But you may want to know How to install Windows Server 2022 on VMware Workstation and also How to install and Configure Hyper-V on Windows Server on Windows Server 2019, and 2022 via the Server Manager, PowerShell or DISM. After downloading both the Windows server 2022 iso file and VirtualBox and
Create a New VirtualBox VM
1. After installing the VirtualBox, launch it and click on New. Supply the name of the virtual machine and select the location where you would like to save the virtual machine files.
In the Type drop-down select Microsoft Windows and the Version should be Windows 2019 because the current version of VirtualBox I used when writing this article does not have Windows 2022 but selecting Windows 2019 does not have any negative impact so go ahead.
2. Make sure the minimum Memory is 2048MB. Click Next.
3. On the Create Virtual Machine page select Create a virtual hard disk now and click Create.
4. On the Create virtual hard disk page select Virtual Machine Disk (VMDK) as the Hard disk file type. Please note that if you have the intention to later move the virtual machine to another hypervisor then select VMDK otherwise select your choice.
Install Windows Server 2022 on VirtualBox
5. In this article we will be using Dynamically allocated storage, though this depend on your choice.
6. Choose the file location where you want to save the virtual hard disk file which is always the same with the Machine folder selected earlier. I will be allocating 50GB of storage size, yours can be bigger than this it’s your choice.
7. Now Goto > System> Processor to configure the CPU which by default is always a single CPU. If you want a better performance you can add more CPU and make it a minimum of 2 CPUs. After making the change, click OK.
8. Now to attach the Windows Server 2022 iso image to the Virtual machine created. Go to settings and click on storage-> Empty disk-> Choose a disk file, locate and attach the Windows Server 2022 iso image downloaded to your system.
9. The image below shows that the Windows Server 2022 iso image has been attached and can now be installed.
Configure Network Settings for LAN Connectivity
10. By default, the VirtualBox would assign a NAT to the VM which can be used by the VM to connect to the internet but will be unable to connect to LAN.
For you to be able to connect to LAN select the bridge adapter which will make the VM as part of the LAN network. Click on OK.
11. After it is attached you will see the VM created then click on Start.
12. Immediately the VM starts the Windows Server 2022 installation will begin. Choose your desired language, location, and keyboard layout and click Next.
13. Click Install now
14. Select the Server Operating system you want to install. You decide if you want GUI or Command line interface.
15. Select the Drive you want to install the Operating system.
16. Installation Under Processing
17. Set the Local Admin Password and click Finish.
18. Immediately you Setup the Admin Password the Windows Lock screen display and to unlock go to Input > Keyboard > Insert Ctrl + Alt + Del and you can go ahead to login.
I hope you found this blog post on How to install Windows Server 2022 on VirtualBox very interesting and helpful. In case you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section.