Whenever you newly set up a Windows system, Microsoft Edge is usually the default browser. Some consider Microsoft Edge as the best browser on Windows and it’s based on the Chromium engine developed by Google. However, some still prefer other browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera on a Windows system. In this guide, I will show you How to Change the Default Web Browser on Windows 11. Please see how to Install Group Policy Templates for Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome browsers on Windows.
Here is a YouTube video below on how to change your default browser in Windows. You can also read How to set Chrome as your default browser on macOS, How to Disable Chrome Browser Notifications on Windows, How to Disable Internet Explorer with Group Policy & Registry and How to remove third-party cookies from Microsoft Edge
Steps to change the default web browser on Windows 11
1: Open your Computer Settings and Click on Apps. Click the Default apps on the right side.
Set Default for Apps
2. On the Default Apps page search or select the browser you want to change the default from, let us assume we are changing the default from Microsoft Edge to Google Chrome.
3. Since we are configuring the default browser settings to Google Chrome. Select the file type Microsoft Edge (.htm). Click Switch anyway.
Decide on how to open files
4. You will be asked this question how do you want to open…….files from now on? Select Google Chrome from other options and click OK.
Please note: You can do same thing for https and http under set default file types or link type if you will be opening a link.
Alternative Steps to Set Firefox the Default Web Browser
5. Sometimes the above steps may not work. So launch the Google Chrome Browser and at the top, you will see Google Chrome isn’t your default browser. Click on Set as default.
6. On the next page you will see Make Google Chrome your default browser. click Set default and your internet browsing will start launching through Google Chrome.
Here are some related articles below that you will find very interesting
FAQs on Changing Windows Default Web Browser
Yes, you can change your default browser back to the original one if you change your mind. Simply go back to the “Default apps” section in Windows 10 or 11 Settings, under “Web browser,” and select your original browser from the list to revert to it as the default.
Yes, you can set different default web browsers for different user accounts on a Windows 11 computer. Each user can customize their default apps, including web browsers, by following these steps:
– Log in to the user account for which you want to change the default browser.
– Open the Start Menu and select “Settings.”
– In the Settings app, click on “Apps” and then choose “Default apps” from the menu on the left.
– Scroll down to the “Web browser” section and click on the current default browser.
– Select the web browser you want to set as the default for that specific user account.
All you need to do is repeat these steps for each user account on the computer to customize their individual default browser settings.
I hope you found this blog post on how to set the Default Web Browser on Windows 11 Interesting and helpful. In case you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section.