Jitsi is a Secure and Simple Video Conferencing and Instant Messaging application that can be run on Windows, Linux, and Mac etc. This is a standalone application that supports instant messaging and telephony protocols (OTR and SIP etc.).
Scenario: If you ever wish to run your VoIP telephone system as software because you do not have enough corded or cordless phones, then you can turn to Jitsi for help.
Here are the steps to Install Jitsi as a smartphone to enable you to use your existing phone system without a corded phone.
– Down the installer from this site.
– Since our area of concentration is on Windows PC simply download the MSI from this link.
– Download the latest version of Jitsi-latest-x64.msi (2017 installer) as at the time of writing
– Double click on the MSI file and follow the prompt as shown below
– Click on next and accept the license
Click through the setup and additionally check “Auto start when the computer restarts or reboots and continue with the installation process by clicking on next
Finally click on Install as shown below
Click on finish
This will prompt the windows security Alert window as shown below, (Simply allow the Firewall Access)
Step 2: Configuring Jitsi
– Close every other Open Window except this below
Click on Tools and Select Option
Now lets configure Jitsi to work with our telephone system
Click on Add
Select SIP under the network tab as shown below
And enter the relevant details. More on Jitsi can be found here: https://jitsi.org/
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.