EC2Launch is a Windows PowerShell scripts that have replaced the (EC2Config service available on windows server 2008 and 2012) on Windows Server 2016. For how to configure Windows Instance Using EC2Launch for Server 2016, see https://techdirectarchive.com/2020/05/17/how-to-configure-windows-instance-using-ec2launch-for-server-2016/
EC2Launch performs the following tasks by default upon initial instance boot.
- Sets up new wallpaper that renders information about the instance. (This doesn’t apply to Nano Servers.)
- Sets the computer name,
- Sends instance information to the Amazon EC2 console.
- Sends the RDP certificate thumbprint to the EC2 console. (Doesn’t apply to Nano Server.)
- Sets a random password for the administrator account.
Upon completion of EC2Lunch service on Windows 2016 Servers
- Navigate to this path C:ProgramDataAmazonEC2-WindowsLaunchConfig
- Ensure to modify the LaunchConfig.json file in order not to have the administrator password changed.
- Choose this option if you specified a password in the unattend.xml file. If you don’t run sysprep and don’t specify a password in unattend.xml, the system uses the password of the parent AMI. Because we do no need to run sysprep (the default password will always be used used)
Installing the Latest Version of EC2Launch for WS 2016
Use the following procedure to download and install the latest version of EC2Launch on your instances.
Download and install the latest version of EC2Launch
- If you have already installed and configured EC2Launch on an instance, make a backup of the EC2Launch configuration file. The installation process does not preserve changes in this file. By default, the file is located in the
- Download EC2-Windows-Launch.zip to a directory on the instance.
- Download install.ps1 to the same directory where you downloaded