To boot a virtual machine (VM) using PXE boot, the VM has to support an emulated Legacy Network Adapter. Follow the steps below to perform this. For more on generation 2 VM deployment of Windows Server 2019.
– Shut down or turn off the virtual machine.
– Edit the settings of the virtual machine.
– Browse to Add Hardware, select Legacy Network Adapter, and click Add.
– Click OK to save your changes.
Now the virtual machine is PXE capable, with the lower performing Legacy Network Adapter.
Follow up with other manual steps
Add the legacy network adapter
– Click on Add
Click Expand the legacy Network Adapter recently added
– Enter the Mac Address (Depending on your environment, you have to set a Static MAC address that will enable the VM search for the WDS server or else it will fail)
– Click on the Next, click on the legacy Network adapter and
– under the virtual switch, select the right network adapter
Lastly, ensure that the client boots first using the Legacy Network Adapter. Just select the Legacy Network Adapter and move it to the top using the buttons.
Start your Virtual Machine, and now PXE boot should function correctly
Here is the result below of a successful deployment.