SQL Server 2019 Developer is a full-featured free edition, licensed for use as a development and test database in a non-production environment. If you would like to try out the 180-day free trial of SQL Server 2019 on-premises which help builds intelligent, mission-critical applications using a scalable, hybrid data platform for demanding workloads. Because I do not want to install a database that will run out of licenses, I will be installing the Developer version as it is free to use in development (test) in a non-production environment. See this article for the differences between various Editions of MsSQL Server.
See this guide for the installation of SQL Server 2019 Express Edition. This is a free edition of SQL Server, ideal for development and production for desktop, web, and small server applications.
You can also install MSSQL on Mac and Linux. See how to install Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and MsSQL Command line tools on Ubuntu Linux and the following article on how to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server on Windows 10 and Windows Server. See the following links for some MsQL related topics
– How to use a dedicated MsSQL Db for Pleasant Password.
– How to migrate Veeam MsSQL Database to a new MsSQL Server.
– How to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
Part 1: Download and install MsSQL Server 2019 Developer Edition, download it using this link.
Now we have the setup as shown below. Double click on the executable to continue the installation.
Part 2: Install the Microsoft SQL Server (Developer Edition). To do this, double click on the executable file as shown above. The window below will appear with three options: Basic, Custom, and Download files.
– I will select Custom, so I can decide on what to install and what not to install. This means the program will download the installation files and then opens the actual setup of SQL Server, where you can select the various options and components you desire. See this guide on how to install an express edition (basic).
Note:The points are vital to determine your installation type.
- If you choose Basic, it has all default configuration required as described above.
- Using the Download installation media will be preferred if the database server has no access to the Internet. It can be downloaded to a workstation and then transferred to the target system.
Next, If you are not okay with the default location to have MsSQL installed onto, kindly use the browse button to select a different target (location of your choice).
This will run through and download the install packages and extract the setup files as shown below
When the step above is completed, a new SQL Server installation Center will appear.
– Click Installation which is on the left side of the above screen.
– Click on New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
Since we are installing a developer version and it is free, on the window below, just click on next.
Accept the license terms and click on next
When the step above completes, it will search for updates on setup files, and if found, it will be included.
– When this step is complete, it will prompt the Install rules window. Currently, we have just one warning and we can continue with the installation. This means you will need to manually create firewall rules that will be needed in your environment.
Select SQL Server feature installation option you would like to install
– Then click on Next.
Next, enter the named instance and click on Next. You will observer it uses the MSSQLSERVER as the default instance.
– You can choose to create a Named instance (and use any name of your choice). I will create other instances in the future.
– Click on Next on the above screen and the next window, the server configuration dialog box will appear.
– Select service account names and start-up types for the above-listed services.
– Also, if you require a special configuration, take a look at the Collation tab. Since this is a test environment, I am okay with these settings, I will click on next.
In the next window, you will have to configure the Database Engine Configuration
– Usually, the Windows Authentication Mode is enough for test purposes.
– I prefer to go with the Mixed-mode option. Here i will be able to set an SA account. See more on SA “how to reset MSSQL Server SA Password on Ubuntu via the command line and SQL Server Management Studio“.
On the Ready to Install window, go through the summary features to install and if okay, click on Install.
This will continue with the installation process as shown below.
The Windows below shows that the installation of SQL Server 2019 has completed successfully.
Note: If any error is prompted at this step, click on ok and wait for it to close and reboot your device and rerun the setup again as described in this guide.
Part 3: Install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: SQL Server Management Studio is a software application first launched with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 that is used for configuring, managing, and administering all components within Microsoft SQL Server.
– Click on the setup file (SQL Developer.exe) and this will open the SQL Server installation Center
– Click on installation and on the right pane of the Window, select the Install SQL Server Management Tool.
Upon download of the SSMS tool, click on the SSMS-Setup-ENU.exe as shown below
This will open up the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) install window.
– Note: By clicking yon install, you agree to the license terms as shown below.
This will continue with the installation as shown below
As we can see below, the installation is complete.
Now the installation of SSMS is complete. Click on start and on Microsoft SQL Server Studio will be available on your recently added application as shown below.
Double click on the Microsoft SQL Server Studio to open it up.
Upon clicking on connect, we will now be granted access to our database as shown below.
From henceforth, you can create new databases and new login. and maintenance tasks etc.
Now we have a database that we can connect to and create tables, row etc as we desire.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.