SQL Server 2019 Express is a free edition of SQL Server, ideal for development and production for desktop, web, and small server applications. If you wish to try out the 180 days free trial of SQL Server 2019 on-premises which helps build intelligent, mission-critical applications using a scalable, hybrid data platform for demanding workloads. You may also want to download the SQL Server 2019 Developer version (Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio which is a full-featured free edition, licensed for use as a development and test database in a non-production environment. See this article for the differences between various Editions of MsSQL Server.
SQL Server 2019 makes data integration, management and intelligence easier and more intuitive than ever before.
Before proceeding with this guide, I will also love to discuss some of the content relating to MSSQL
– How to install Microsoft SQL Server 2019 and MsSQL Command line tools on Ubuntu Linux
– How to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server on Windows 10 and Windows Server.
– How to use a dedicated MsSQL Db for Pleasant Password on Windows Server.
– How to migrate Veeam MsSQL Database to a new MsSQL Server.
– How to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio on Windows 10 and Windows Server
Part 1: Download and install MsSQL Server 2019 Express Edition. Use this download link.
– Double click on “SQLServer2019-SSEI-Expr.exe” as shown below.
The window below will appear with three options: Basic, Custom, and Download files.
– I will select Basic as this variant is straightforward, In this installation type, the SQL server is set up with the default values.
Note: The points are vital to determine your installation type.
- If you choose Custom, the program downloads the installation files and then opens the actual setup of SQL Server, where you can select the various options and components with the help of a wizard. See this guide on how to perform the installation with the custom installation type but for Developer edition. You can compare the installation and tell what to expect at the end if you decide to go for the custom installation method.
- Using the Download installation media will be preferred if the database server has no access to the Internet. It can be downloaded to a workstation and then transferred to the target system.
This will prompt the Microsoft SQL Server License Term window with a dialog box prompting you to confirm the UI language. For me English is okay, so I will click on Yes.
– Next, click on Accept in order to accept the license terms! Ensure you read before accepting 🙂
The SQL server install location dialog box will appear. Since this is a test lab, I will leave the default location as shown C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server.
Note: You can also change the installation location by clicking on Browse button as shown below.
- Once your desired location is selected, click on the Install button.
This will run through and download the install packages and extract the setup files as shown below
Now the download is complete; the installation of SQL Server 2019 Express Edition is initiated as shown below.
– The basic instllation of SWL Server 2019 Express Edition will take few minutes, don’t fret!
Note: This is the difference between making a basic and custom installation as you do not have a choice of what is installed.
Once the installation is complete, the following window will be displayed as shown below.
The installation is completed successfull and you can close the window or connect to the Database as shown above.
But if you wish to modify your SQL server express edition, Click on Customise as shown above. This will display the SQL sever 2019 Setup as shown below. Walk through the rules and make modification as your desire.
I will cancel this operation as this is not what i want to do but just to show you the various configuration options available for the SQL Server Express Edition Edition.
If you also wish to connect to that SQL Server Express Edition, simply click on “Connect Now” ask you will be prompted with the Command Line Interface for administering the server as shown below.
Part 2: Install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS): SQL Server Management Studio is a software application first launched with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 that is used for configuring, managing, and administering all components within Microsoft SQL Server.
Now that the SSMS-Setup-ENU file has been downloaded, double click to launch it.
This will open up the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) install window.
– Note: By clicking yon install, you agree to the license terms as shown below.
This will continue with the installation, you can sit back and watch the as the installation progresses.
When the application completes you will be required to restart your server for setup can continue
Now the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio setup is completed. You can launch the SSMS by clicking on the start button and on Microsoft SQL Server Studio will be available on your recently added application as shown below. Please you can pin this to the taskbar or to the start program as shown below.
After pining it to the task bar, double click on the Microsoft SQL Server Studio to open it up.
– Click on Connect.
Upon clicking on connect, you will now be granted access to the database as shown below.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.