TrustedInstaller is a legitimate Windows account that runs in the background and is responsible for various system files. TrustedInstaller.exe is an inbuilt user account used for all versions of Windows starting from Windows Vista. Users would not even notice its presence most of the time. However, if malware replaced the mentioned file, it can cause problems. Nevertheless, you might see the following message if you try to modify or delete some specific files or folders in your PC as discussed here.
TrustedInstaller.exe is a process that belongs to Windows Modules Installer and one of the core components of the Windows Resource Protection as described in the first paragraph. Windows Modules Installer’s main purpose is to install and modify Windows updates and other optional system components with a high impact on your computer.
The TrustedInstaller can be also be found under the services.msc
– Launch Windows Services as shown below
Right-click on the “Windows Modules Installer “.
– From here you can in the meantime disable the service if the file you wish to edit or rename is blocked by this process. Kindly see “How to delete or rename files protected by Trusted Installer” for an alternative way to have this done.
You can also disable the service “Windows Modules Installer ” via MSCONFIG as shown below
MSConfig is a system utility to troubleshoot the Microsoft Windows startup process. It can disable or re-enable software, device drivers and Windows services that run at startup, or change boot parameters.
Here are the steps to have this done
– Press the key combination [Windows] + [R] to open the Run dialog.
– Enter “msconfig ” there and
– Click “OK “.
Next, you will have to uncheck the box next to ” Windows Module Installer “.
– Click OK to save your changes and exit the dialog box.
As you can see, the services is currently not running, I just wanted to demonstrate the steps to you.
If you want to re-enable the service, simply follow the steps as described above.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.