Cortana allows you to search for items in Windows 10 such as settings, files, and apps on your PC and it uses the default Bing search engine. If you like Cortana but you don’t like the fact that it uses Edge and Bing, you can make Cortana use your default browser instead of Bing and Edge.
How to make Cortana Use Your Default Browser if your are using Google Chrome, Firefox etc instead of Edge in Windows 10
Part 1: Download Chrome and make it your default browser.
– You can download Chrome from here. Simply download and run the setup file.
To have these steps implemented, you will have to download Chrome and make it your default browser. See this article for "How to set a Google chrome browser as default in macOS". Also, see how to set Google Chrome on Windows 10 for more steps. Regardless, the steps will be discussed below.
Upon download, You should run it and make it your default browser as shown below.
– Launch Windows Settings
– Click on Apps and
– Navigate to Default Apps
– Under Web-Browser, click on the Microsoft edge and this will open a list of apps to choose from.
– Select Google Chrome
Part 2: Ensure Cortana uses your default browser with EdgeDeflector
– This can be downloaded from here.
– Run the setup file as shown below
Click on the Install as shown below
The installation os petty fast, upon completion,
– Click on close as shown below
Note: This can also be installed by downloading directly from Google Chrome extension as shown below
– Chrometana Pro has been previously installed and was used to discc this issue “How to make Cortana search with a different web browser instead of Bing and Edge“.
Once the installation is complete, you should automatically be prompted with a dialog box to open Cortana searches
– Select EdgeDeflector and tick the box next to Always use this app.
– Press Ok to confirm.
Next, you will be asked to select an app you wish to open your search (Cortana Searches) in Google
– Here I will select Google Chrome
And that is all that needs to be done.
Now, when next you initiate a Windows Taskbar search and click on any of the search result, you will automatically be redirected to google chrome for your search result as shown below
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.