Printers are computer peripheral device that accepts text and graphic output from a computer and transfers the information to paper, usually to standard size sheets of paper that fall into these categories, “2D printers that print text and graphics onto paper” and “3D printers that create physical objects”.
You may be interested in some other articles I have created relating to Printing. How to delete obsolete drivers from the Driver Store in Windows 10, how to rename a Printer in Windows 10, how to determine the version and type of a Printer Driver (Printer Driver Information), how to specify a persistent default printer via the Windows Registry, how to remove a Printer from Windows 10 via PowerShell, Windows registry and Print Management and how to fix Print Spooler Service not running.
You may be prompted with this error when installing a printer on your device. I will suggest you go through the troubleshooting guide below to resolve this issue.
Why was this error prompted in my environment?The right drivers were not installed (most at times, this is the issue and why the error was prompted in the first place. A generic windows driver was installed and connecting to a network print was not possible (did not work).
Step 1: Prerequisite to resolving this issue: This step is necessary in order to connect to a network printer in a domain environment.
– Note: Before proceeding to fix this issue, if the printer is a network printer, ensure it is connected to the domain as well.
– If the PC is not joined to the domain, follow the steps to perform it. More information on how to perform domain join can be found in this guide “How to join a PC to the Domain“
- Open System by clicking the Start button, - Right-clicking Computer, and then click Properties. - Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, - Click on Change settings. - In System Properties, on the Computer Name tab, click Change. Use the attached guide for more information "How to join a PC to the Domain" - In Computer Name/Domain Changes, in Workgroup, type the name of the workgroup you want to use, and then click OK. You will be prompted to restart your computer.
Note: To install a Network Printer, ensure you are logon with a domain credential in order to be able to find the Network Printer.
Step 2: Next, you would want to add a print driver. Please see the following guide for other ways on how to add Print Drivers with PowerShell, RUNDLL32, and VBScript in Windows 10
– Click the Start menu, then Click on Windows Settings
– Click on Devices and Printers.
– Click Add a printer or scanner.
This will search for available printers that have been added previously and then you can connect to it. If your device is connected to a network, then the printers listed in Active Directory for your domain will be displayed in the list
But as you can see, no new Printer is found. We will have to add one by clicking on the “The printer that I want isn’t listed”.
This will open up the “Add Printer” wizard
– I will be using the option “Add a Bluetooth, wireless or network printer” as shown below.
Follow the prompts to complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click on Finish. In a nutshell, with the right printer driver, the error "Operation Failed with error 0x000004f8" will be eliminated.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.