Connecting your Windows devices to your Microsoft account makes your device safer and simpler to access in the case of an unexpected event, such as losing your login password, and it also allows you to make regular backups. But what if you lose your device or stop using it and still have it linked to your Microsoft account? How can you remove this device from your account? If you are interested in knowing how to add your device to your Microsoft account please How to Add a Device to your Microsoft account.
Removing your device from your Microsoft account is simple and only takes a few steps. Please keep in mind that to proceed, you will need to know your Microsoft Account password. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by requesting that Microsoft send you an email with reset instructions.
In this article, we will show you how to view the list of all devices connected to your Microsoft account and how to easily remove them from your list of devices.
For more on Windows and adding devices to Microsoft account read these: How to Add a Device to your Microsoft account, Add Hardware and Peripherals: How to add a device to a Windows 10 Computer, How to remove a Bluetooth device and connect a new Bluetooth device to Macbook, Microsoft Phone Link: How to Link and Unlink an Android Phone to Windows 11. To install and activate Microsoft office see How to install and activate Office 2019 on your Mac PC.
Once you are ready, you can proceed to see how to remove a device from your Microsoft account.
1. First, press the Windows key to open the Start menu then click on Settings.
2. Click on Accounts, on the right side click the Microsoft account you have your devices connected to and in the account drop-down, you should either have two buttons, Manage or Remove. Click on Manage and continue to the next step.
3. From that, it will open your Browser and ask you for a password to login to your Microsoft Account online. Once you input your password, you should be directed to your Microsoft Dashboard. Here you have all sort of options including setting up payments, OneDrive, Privacy and so on. We want to concentrate on managing your connected devices.
4. Here click on Devices on the top right. You may need to input your password again for security purposes. Then, a new page will open. Here you will see all of your connected devices, including mobile phones, PC’s, laptops, consoles and so on. Here you need to identify the device you are using. If you cannot locate it, then select Find My Device button right next to the Overview tab.
5. Once you identify the device click on Remove device.
6. A message prompt should appear for confirmation. Simply tick on the I’m ready to remove this checkbox and hit on Remove.
7. Now this device will no longer have access to your Microsoft account.
Congratulations! You have successfully removed your device from your Microsoft account. If you have any questions concerning this process, please leave them in the comments section below.