Windows Performance Toolkit is a performance monitoring tool that you can use to determine the general in-depth performance profiles of Windows operating systems. The Windows Performance Toolkit consists of tools like Windows Performance Recorder (WPR) and Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA). The WPR records system events and the WPA analyze the events and create graph and data tables of event. The GPUView which is part of the Windows Performance Toolkit can be used to read any logged videos and kernel events and the data can be displayed graphically to users. With GPUView developers and testers will know different events that might cause conditions like glitches, delays, and poor synchronization.
Note: The Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT) is part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit. The WPT consists of performance monitoring tools that produce in-depth performance profiles of Windows operating systems and applications. This article discusses both Windows Performance Recorder (WPR) and Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA). You may want to learn about “What Event Tracing for Windows is“.
The image below shows the Windows Performance Analyzer. We will be discussing the installation and usage as we progress through this guide. You may also want to read about How Performance Monitor work in Windows 10 and you may want to track your device performance and health via Windows Security in Windows 10, you can also read How to use Windows 11 PC Health Check App, learn How to use the Reliability Monitor in Windows.
Follow the below steps to kick-start:
1: Download the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) from Microsoft for your version of Windows. I will be downloading Windows ADK for Windows 10.
2. Run the downloaded adksetup.exe file.
3. You may decide to select to install on the current system or another system. But I will be installing it on the current system path.
4. Select Yes or No to send anonymous data to Microsoft for the Windows 10 Kits installed on the system.
5. Uncheck all but Check only the Windows Performance Toolkit and click install.
6. Wait for the Installation to finish.
7. After successful installation click close.
8. If you check your start menu you will find the Windows Performance Recorder, GPUView, and Windows Performance Analyzer listed
9. When you click the Performance Monitor you will see the below image
10. Click the Performance Recorder and record all current performance status on your system and save afterward.
Upon starting, you can click on save as shown below.
11. Then use the Performance Analyzer to analyze the Performance recorded data that was saved. Click the Open in WPA
12. Immediately the Windows Performance Analyzer will open and you can analyze the results of the recording.
Here is a video that demonstrated how to work with Windows Performance Toolkit
I hope you found this blog post How to work with Windows Performance Toolkit interesting and helpful. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section.