Being productive on your Windows machine doesn’t mean you need to make full use of every available tool. You just need to get to know the most powerful tools available at your disposal. In this article, we will discuss 7 Windows Productivity Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your PC. Here are some related articles: Five Tips to Use When Illustrating as a Pro, Easy How To Guide Disable Ads in Windows 11, learn more about “Enhanced Multi-Monitor Experience with Windows 11“, and how to fix “We could not connect to remote PC with error code 0x204 and make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network.
Microsoft’s Windows operating system provides users with an array of built-in features, utilities, and native applications. These settings can assist you in achieving maximum efficiency within a limited timeframe. Are you eager to learn about these top-notch features? Let’s dive into these seven productivity-enhancing tips!
Windows for productivity tips to optimize your PC
The steps below will provide you with the required knowledge to optimize your Windows 10 and 11 PC and subsequent releases on your Windows device.
Utilize Snap Layout for optimal screen space
If you find yourself constantly toggling between tabs while working, this tip is perfect for you. The Snap Layout feature has been present since the release of Windows 7, but Microsoft has continually updated it with new functionalities over time. This feature allows users to view several open windows simultaneously.
To make optimal use of your screen space, follow these steps:
On Windows 11, hover over the maximize button on any window. If your screen is small-sized, four layout options will appear, and six options will show up if it’s larger. The next step is choosing which corner you want that specific window displayed in. Alternatively, there’s also an older method where dragging the window towards the desired corner does the trick too.
The keyboard shortcut commands for utilizing Snap Layout include:
Pressing down on both: The ‘Windows’ key along with either one from ‘Left’, ‘Right’, ‘Up’ or ‘Down’ arrow keys depending upon where exactly do you wish it to be displayed on the screen. Another shortcut for viewing layout options is pressing down both the ‘Windows’ key and ‘Z’ key.
Constantly switching between different tabs can become quite a nuisance. However, with Snap Layout you can easily manage multiple tasks and arrange your display according to your preference. For instance, while attending a meeting you could have two windows snapped side-by-side. One displays the meeting and another where you’re jotting down notes on Microsoft OneNote.
Utilize Focus Assist to Minimize Interruptions
Are you frequently disrupted by incessant email alerts while working? If that’s the case, then Focus Assist could be your new best friend. This feature is built into Windows and its primary function is to block potentially distracting notifications from emails, social media platforms, and other non-essential applications. To activate this feature, follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Start Menu and choose the Settings icon.
- A new window will open where you need to navigate through System >> Notifications.
- Here, switch on Do Not Disturb mode, which will mute or hide all incoming notifications.
- There’s also an option labelled Turn on do not disturb automatically which allows you to schedule specific times for blocking notifications.
Maintaining a distraction-free environment is crucial for productivity at work. Moreover, if you’re in a meeting or presenting something on screen, it can be quite embarrassing when personal messages pop up unexpectedly. In such scenarios, Focus Assist proves itself as an invaluable tool.
Keep Everything in Order with Microsoft OneNote
Microsoft OneNote serves as a comprehensive note-taking application that aids in organizing everything – ranging from daily tasks lists to detailed meeting notes. Instead of having important information scattered across various apps (or worse still – undocumented), OneNote provides a platform for consolidating all critical data thereby enhancing efficiency at work.
For instance, you can leverage OneNote to create notebooks wherein they can store code snippets, vital resources links, minutes of meetings etc. Here’s how you get started with using Microsoft OneNote:
- Click on the search icon and type “One Note.”
- The app named ‘One Note’ should appear now; click it open.
- Log in using your Microsoft email credentials i.e., username and password.
The application enables the organization of content across different notebook pages & sections along with features like drawing tools, annotation options, a tagging system, audio recording, video insertion and adding file attachments. Plus, the notes can be shared with colleagues which simplifies collaboration at work.
Archive work documents in a structured way
One of the most crucial steps to maintaining productivity, especially on a Windows operating system, is to archive work documents in a structured manner. A cluttered desktop or disorganized folders can significantly hinder your ability to quickly locate and access critical files.
Start by creating clear folder hierarchies for different projects or departments. Regularly backup older documents that are no longer actively used, but might be needed for future reference.
With the vast array of file types we encounter, it’s also beneficial to familiarize yourself with various archival tools and techniques. For instance, if you come across a compressed archive, knowing how to unzip a GZ file can save you both time and frustration. By keeping your work folders clean and organized, not only do you ensure a smoother workflow but also safeguard critical data from potential loss.
Utilize Virtual Desktops for Multitasking
Whatever you do for a living, you’re likely to be handling multiple projects and applications at once. If your work is confined to a single monitor, it can become quite cumbersome to constantly switch between different windows – a process that not only eats into your time but also hampers productivity. This is where the virtual desktop feature of Windows comes in handy.
This unique feature simulates the experience of working on multiple desktops, allowing users to effortlessly manage various tasks simultaneously. Here’s how you can activate this feature:
- Locate the Task View button (represented by two overlapping rectangles in black and white). Alternatively, press Windows Key + Tab.
- You’ll now see an option to add a new desktop. Click on the ‘+’ icon to create a new virtual workspace.
- The keyboard shortcut for creating a new desktop is Windows Key + Control + D.
Microsoft consistently updates its operating system with enhanced features and improvements. With the virtual desktop function, users are able to operate more than one application concurrently without any hassle. For instance, you could have Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word running on Desktop 1 while using Microsoft Team for meetings on another.
Use Smart Lookup for Instant Research
Have you ever been drafting a document in Microsoft Word when suddenly you felt the need for additional research? Most people would typically open up their internet browser separately which disrupts workflow continuity. But what if we told you there’s no need anymore?
Smart Lookup is an innovative tool available across all Microsoft Office products that allows users to conduct quick research via the Bing search engine right within their document. However, do note that this requires an active Internet connection.
Here’s how it works. Open your document in MS Word and highlight the word or phrase requiring further research before selecting Smart Lookup from the References tab. This will bring up relevant search results within a panel on your screen’s right side.
You can also just right-click on the selected word or phrase and choose Smart Lookup from the dropdown menu. This will also bring up an insights panel with search results directly sourced from the web.
Manage Emails Efficiently by Creating Folders
Office workers spend approximately 28% of their work time managing emails. That’s why our final Windows productivity tip is about efficient email management using Microsoft Outlook.
In MS Outlook, users have the option to create folders for organizing emails which helps in prioritizing important messages related to your work. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open your Microsoft Outlook account.
- Click on the hamburger icon located at left side of screen.
- Choose ‘Folders’ followed by clicking ‘+’ icon to create a new folder.
- Assign a name to this folder before pressing Enter key.
To move an email into this newly created folder, simply open your inbox and select the desired email before clicking the three dots present on the right-hand side. Select ‘Move’ and then choose the appropriate folder where you want this email moved.
FAQs on Windows Productivity tips for optimization
To optimize your Windows PC for better productivity, you can try some of these steps:
– Remove unnecessary files and applications to free up the storage space.
– Disable startup programs that launch at startup to reduce boot times.
– Keep your hardware drivers up to date for better compatibility and performance.
– Reduce or disable visual effects in Windows settings to allocate more resources to productivity tasks.
– Learn and use keyboard shortcuts to navigate and work faster in Windows.
– Utilize productivity software like Microsoft Office, task management tools, and note-taking apps.
Balancing security and productivity is crucial to optimizing productivity while keeping your Windows system secure:
– Create complex passwords and consider using a password manager for convenience.
– Keep your system and applications up to date with the latest security patches.
– Use reputable antivirus and anti-malware software to mitigate against threats.
– Set up automated backups to ensure data recovery in case of issues.
– Configure your firewall to allow essential services while blocking potentially harmful services/traffic.
– Use the Windows standard user account more often instead of the administrator account to minimize risks.
– Above all, stay informed about common security threats and practice safe browsing habits.
I hope you found this blog post helpful on Windows Productivity Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your PC. Please let me know in the comment section if you have any questions.