Remote Desktop Protocol is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft which provides a user with a graphical interface to connect to another computer over a network connection. The user employs RDP client software for this purpose, while the other computer must run RDP server software. The following error below was prompted from the PC that was moved from a different subnet to another.
Depending on the errors you are receiving, it is worth taking a look at this “What is Transit Failed, General Failure, Request timed out and Destination Host unreachable“.
Scenario: Error code 0x204: We could not connect to the remote PC, make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that the remote access is enabled PC had an address of the previous subnet.
– In order to be able to perform RDP to this new PC, ensure a new TCP/IP Address is assigned to the PC of the new subnet the PC is placed now.
Note: The Remote Desktop Connection error 0x204 can be due to various reasons like driver issues, security permission, recently installed hardware, network-related issues, etc. But in this case, it is a network issue (i had the wrong TCP /IP Address entered on the PC). To resolve this issue, please follow the steps below.
For other topics on RDP, see the following hyperlinks below
– How to allow saved credentials for RDP connection.
– How to remove saved RDP credentials entries in Windows 10.
– How to prevent the saving of Remote Desktop Credentials in Windows.
– Remote Desktop can not find the computer FQDN and this might mean that FQDN does not belong to the specified network.
– How to disconnect a Remote Desktop User.
Solution: If this is a workstation, you may need to connect a monitor to it in order to have an interface to configure this device. But if this is not the case. Launch the control panel and navigate “Open Network and Internet Setting”
– Click on properties in order to open the Ethernet Status as shown below.
– Enter a new TCP/IP Address on the PC as shown below.
Having entered the new TCP IP on the PC in the specified network, I was able to connect to perform the RDP Connection.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.