Microsoft recently announced the preview of the Windows Package Manager, referred to as “Winget CLI”. A package manager will help simplify, save time and speed up the installation of applications (software and tools onto your device). This is a long-awaited tool by IT professionals and developers to have wanted a native package manager in Windows. Kindly refer to the following Windows Package Manager: How to install, upgrade and uninstall software with Chocolatey, and Windows Package Manager: How to install applications with Winget CLI. For how to install, upgrade and uninstall Chocolatey, see the following link. How to install, upgrade and uninstall software with Chocolatey, see the following link.
It is worth noting that everyone is aware of the tedious process involved in reinstalling a device. This hurdle will be completely eradicated quickly with the Windows Package Manager. With a simple line everything is handled automatically.
Windows Package Manager will make all the difference. It will then only be necessary to give the command Winget install “specific application” and they will be quickly installed on to your device.
– You can do a search in the app repository and find the ones you want. It will also be possible to know data about each of the apps present in the repositories and thus be more informed.
Install Winglet CLI: To have this tool installed, we basically have two possibilities as shown below.
– I tested both as demonstrated and they worked correctly.
Option 1: Winget is open-source and this means you can clone, build, run, and test the code from the repo here. With this method, you will not be getting automatic updates from Microsoft. Follow these steps below for instructions. To me, this is the easiest method.
– To have the Winget client installed, download the latest appxbundle from Winget’s GitHub page
– Once downloaded, double-click on the Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle file, this will fire up the App Installer program and execute it.
Note: Because i used the second option below to test at first, I have the App installer already installed
– If this is your first time, you will be asked to “click on the Update button”.
When done, the App Installer screen will state “For proper functioning of the app, try to launch a Windows app package.” At this point, close the App Installer window.
You will now have access to the winget command in PowerShell.
For how to install applications with Winget, take a look at this article https://techdirectarchive.com/2020/05/23/winget-cli-how-to-install-applications-with-windows-package-manager/
Option 2: If you are enrolled in the Windows Insider program, you should already have access to the App Installer. Otherwise, you can sign up for the specific Windows Package Manager Insider Program or use option 1 above. Once approved, the Microsoft Store will upgrade the App Installer package on your Windows 10 Insider build and you will now have access to the Winget command in PowerShell.
If you are not a enrolled in the Windows Insider Programme, this means you will need to sign up as a (Windows Insider) for the installation of App Installer on your device with your Microsoft account. When successfully registered, join the "Windows Package Manager Insider program" and send your Microsoft Account (MSA) details to email@example.com to request for the preview.
To download Windows Package Manager (App Installer), follow the steps below and ensure you are registered as a Windows Insider. If this is not done, this will NEVER work.
– Access the following link if you are yet to register. If you are already registered, please ignore this step
– Below are the needed steps
– Go to Windows Settings
– Click on Update and Settings
– Select the Windows Insider Programme as shown below.
Note for this to work correctly, the Diagnostic and Feedback must be set to correctly.
– Click on the Diagnostic and Feedback and set the right option to continue.
Next, click on Get Started under the Windows Insider Programme window on the right side.
– I will not be explaining all the steps as they are very basic.
Click on “Link an Account” as shown below
Click on continue to proceed
Select the type of account you would like to sign in with, I would like to use my Microsoft account.
– Note: If you signed in previously to Windows with your Microsoft Account, this step will no longer be needed.
Enter your Microsoft Account and proceed with the other steps.
– Thereafter, enter your password and
– If you have your 2FA configured for your account, please enter it as well as this window will be prompted too to complete the authentication process.
When the authentication process is completed, you will be prompted with the window below where you would have to use the account everywhere on your device or on Microsoft apps only. The choice is yours 🙂
Select your Insider settings
– I will go with the “Fast” option and
– Click on Confirm.
Click on Firm to agree to the Privacy and Insider agreement.
Now, one more step to go (you will have to restart your device to have the settings applied).
– This is probably going to take a while, sit back and relax 😉
When this step is completed, you will be prompted to complete some tailored experiences for your devices
You may encounter an error during this setup, just hit the try again button to continue.
To resolve the OOBESETTINGSMULTIPLEPAGE error on Windows 10, see the following link.
Note: If the Windows Update process is not started automatically, ensure you perform Windows Update first to ensure your download the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build based on your insider settings.
After performing the steps above, launch the Microsoft Store once again. - Search for App Installer as shown below
Click on Install on my device
– Note: When you do not click on the Install on my device on time, the App installer will continue automatically.
As you can see the App Installer is being downloaded.
When the installation is complete, you will get an alert in the notification centre as shown below.
Now we can use Winget to install applications.
I hope you found this blog post helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comment session.