There are times you will start your virtual machine and it will not boot up properly and you will try to use the F8 key and that too may not respond. So when setting up your virtual machine for the first time the best thing to do is to configure your VM to be able to start from safe mode. Safe mode can help fix problems within an operating system, so having it configured beforehand in times of start-up issues can be beneficial. If you want to read more on Hyper-V VM you can check these: How to Fix Hyper-V Virtual Machine Stuck in Stopping State, How to fix the “Boot Failed UEFI SCSI Device” error when installing Windows 2016 Server on Hyper-V, vSwitches: How to delete Virtual Switches from Hyper-V, Enable Secure boot and TPM on HyperV: How to fix “This PC Can’t Run Windows 11” on Hyper V, Set up Windows Server on Hyper-V and backup HyperV VM: How to perform Windows Server backup with Nakivo or Windows Server backup utility. In this guide, you will learn how to start HyperV VMs in safe mode.
Follow these steps in configuring the safe mode for Windows
1: Start the server and open the settings. On the Windows Settings page, click Update & Security.
2. On the update status page click Recovery on the left section.
3. On the recovery page click the Restart now button. Specify a reason to restart the computer and click Continue.
4. On the Choose an option screen you will see these options:
- Turn off your PC
Click the Troubleshoot option
5. On the Advanced options screen click Startup Settings.
6. On the Startup settings screen click Restart to change several windows options which include enabling of safe mode.
7. Immediately after you Restart you will see the new start-up screen with an option to select Safe Mode. Once you hit the enter key it will boot the virtual machine into Safe Mode and you will be able to resolve any issue your system is having at safe mode and you can now reverse back to normal mode.
I hope you found this blog post on how to start HyperV VMs in safe mode Interesting and helpful. In case you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section.