Windows Server Update Services (WSUS): WSUS previously known as Software Update Services (SUS), is a computer program and network service developed by Microsoft Corporation that enables administrators to manage the distribution of updates and hotfixes released for Microsoft products to computers in a corporate environment
This happens most times because the servers are created from an AMI (never syspreped). For more information PowerShell and USOClient commands, see https://techdirectarchive.com/2020/02/05/handy-windows-server-update-services-commands-wauaclt-powershell-and-usoclient/
For more articles I have written see the following links below
– Configuring WSUS Email Notification to Work With Office365
– How to setup and configure Windows server update services (WSUS)
– Important Areas to Master on WSUS (Installed and not applicable, Install 1/4, and Installed / Not applicable 100)
– Targeting WSUS Client with the Registry keys: How to configure WSUS Clients to get Updates from the WSUS server using Registry settings
– How to apply Windows Updates from WSUS to the server using AWS RunCommand
– How to Configure SSL between WSUS servers (Upstream and Downstream Servers)
– Handy WSUS Commands – Windows Server Update Services Commands, WAUACLT, PowerShell and USOClient
– How to Start, Stop and Restart Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) via PowerShell and CMD
– WSUS clients appear and disappear from the WSUS Update Services console
Note: All other servers are reporting to WSUS such as Windows server 2008R2 and Server 2012 R2 but Windows Server 2016 does not.
Note: All registry keys are created on Server 2016 and there is connectivity between the wsus server and the windows server.
Solution: Delete the SusClientID and SusClientIDvalidation keys from the registry. This is because the sever was created from a clown (AMI) and new ones will be generated automatically.
- Stop windows update service
- Delete SoftwareDistribution folder
Run the commands below from the commandLine
wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
And this as well
wuauclt /detectnow /reportnow
If you found this article useful or require further assistance, kindly leave a comment below.