The free DigiCert Certificate Utility for Windows is a very good an indispensable tool for administrators and a must-have for anyone that uses SSL Certificates for Websites and servers or Code Signing Certificates for trusted software. This is a globally accepted tool that you can used for certificate management and various certificate troubleshooting. It is very easy to configure and a straight-forward approach in the usage. You can read more related guides like: Enable LDAP over SSL with a Third-party Certification Authority such as DigiCert, Generate a self-signed SSL certificate: How to enable LDAP over SSL with a self-signed certificate, and How to Import your SSL Certificate to Your Windows Server using DigiCert Utility
Follow these Steps to Create Your CSR with the DigiCert Utility
- On your Windows Server, download and save the DigiCert Certificate Utility for Windows executable DigiCertUtil.exe
- After downloading run the utility file.
- Launch the DigiCert Certificate Utility for Windows and click SSL (with gold lock), and then, click Create CSR.
On the Create CSR page, enter this information:
- Select SSL as the Certificate Type
- Common Name: enter the fully qualified domain name (e.g., www.techdirectarchive.com) or you may enter the IP address.
- Subject Alternative Names: assuming you are requesting a Multi-Domain (SAN) Certificate, you can enter any SANs e.g (www.techdirectarchive2.com)
- Organization: Enter your company’s legally registered name. e.g TechDirectArchive
- Department: Optional
- City: Enter the city where your company is located.
- State: Select the correct state your company is located.
- Country: Select the correct country your company is located.
- Key Size: In the drop-down list select 2048.
- Click the Generate button.
- You can either click the Copy CSR button to copy the certificate contents to a clipboard like Notepad or you can save to file.
I hope you found this blog post on How to use the DigiCertCertificate Utility for Windows to create a CSR very interesting and helpful. In case you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section