GitHub is a very popular tool among programmers and is best used as a facilitating project management and collaborative tool. GitHub serves as a code repository for billions of lines of code. Developers can store or push code from GitHub, but in this guide, I will be showing you how to use GitHub as Source Provider for AWS CodePipeline instead of using AWS CodeCommit or Amazon S3 as the source provider. You can also read about how you can Set Up a Continuous Deployment Pipeline Using AWS CodePipeline, How to use Command-Line on Git Bash and GitHub Desktop to PUSH local code to GitHub and How to Deploy Code from GitHub to Azure App Service from the Command-line.
Steps to Make GitHub a Source Provider to AWS
1: Open your AWS Account. 2: Launch the CodePipeline and create a new Pipeline.
3. On the Add Source stage page, select the location of the source you selected and follow the steps below:
4. Select GitHub (Version 2) for the Source provider.
5. Click Connect to GitHub or select an existing connection that you have already configured or create a new one and then return to this task.
Create GitHub App Connection
6. On the Create GitHub App Connection section enter the Connection name and click on Connect to GitHub.
7. Authorize AWS to connect to GitHub by clicking on AWS Connector for GitHub.
8. You will be redirected to a connection screen, click Install a new app.
9. On the Install AWS Connector for GitHub page select the Github account you need and click Install. On the next page select the repository you want to connect to your Pipeline, click install and confirm access.
Please see How to clone a repository and install software from GitHub on Windows, Azure DevOps and GitHub integration for Docker and Kubernetes deployment, and how to Create an App Service Plan with Continuous Deployment to deploy a .NET Application from GitHub.
Connect to the GitHub page
10. On the Connect to GitHub page, click Connect.
11. Immediately after the GitHub connection is successful, the Add source page will be updated and you will now see Ready to Connect. The next thing to do is to specify the repository and branch. Select CodePipeline default and click next to continue with the Setup of a Continuous Deployment Pipeline with AWS CodePipeline.
Here is a YouTube video on how to use GitHub as Source Provider for AWS CodePipeline.
I hope you found this blog post on how to use GitHub as Source Provider for AWS CodePipeline Interesting and helpful. In case you have any questions do not hesitate to ask in the comment section.